Tuesday, August 16, 2005

HOW A BUNCH OF MILD MANNERED MIDDLE AGED MEN MAKE MELLIPOP FEEL LIKE AN OVER-EXCITED TEENAGER AGAIN


Ok, so it's official. I am in the deepest throes of neo-teenage obsession with a band.

A band made of mild mannered, normal looking middle aged men.

Wilco.

It's really quite refreshing that at the age of 28 - a good ten years after the tenure of my teenagehood had already expired - I can still get that head-over-heels excited about anything.

I want to put their posters up on my wall, and write their names all over my pencil case, and start up a pen-pal fan club of like-minded obsessives. Though they aren't exactly poster-boy pin-up material and I don't have a pencil case. Plus I don't even know all their names. Though I bet they don't have names like Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Danny and Donnie (or NKOTB, an acronym well-known to those of my generation). The lead singer of Wilco is called Jeff (seen here in red shirt). That's a Wiggles name... And he is only marginally more sexy than "Wake Up" Wiggle Jeff himself. Actually I lie. He is rather sexy in that "I'm really quite smitten by your genius" kind of way.

So not since my serious adolescent dalliance with Guns n Roses have I been this into a band. I'm playing their albums non-stop, with the kind of overly-dedicated obsessive compulsive glee that only self-absorbed teenagers have the time for. And counting my pennies to buy up the rest of their back catalogue. And praying that they decide to tour sometime in the near future so I can squeal and scream and wet my pants somewhere in the vicinity of the front row.

All normal fan behaviour.

Now for the obligatory plug. These three albums are currently responsible for my excess gushiness…

A.M.
Summerteeth
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Sigh…..

And in summing up, I feel it appropriate to quote verbatim from the NKOTB website: These good-looking dudes have good tunes with the right moves.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas said...

i wrote a long and rather smug comment, but it was too obnoxious, so i'll just ask: did you, like, write this post in 1998 and only just get around to posting it?

any other nineties bands we should know about?

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

......hey i am currently in the throes of enjoying mid-eighties Metallica so I can understand where you are coming from Mellipop.......i did see them about 6 years ago but hey we can't be all as smug as Nicholas and say we missed the boat and should have been liking them from the start!..........enjoy your music Mellipop and be sure to share it with all an sundry when you come back to the land of the living.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Hey - I never said I was an "early adopter" or anything. Just obsessed....

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

P.S. I've also been listening to this band called Nirvana. They're pretty cool.... Worth checking out.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

sorry. in my defense i did have two years or so during your pop phase of having my entire record collection dismissed as "wah wah wah whingey indie rock"...

12:02 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Yeah, it was all a bit too, "Slit Your Wrist Singalongs vol I - XX" ;)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

apart from the wilco albums, you mean.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Ha ha - touche!!

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mel

Not too long till you, Anton and kids come HOME !!!

Speaking of 90's flashbacks, please OMG please tell me you still have the cd "Love Walked In" by The Earthmen.

I found a mixed tape (remember those) you made me way back when. I forgot how good these Melbourne boys were.. Anyway - the CD is no longer available to order and no store has it...

Please help me Obi Wan Melnobi....

Ps Miss ya

5:25 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Still got it babe - will hook you up when I get back! I've got some other choice cuts to share as well. We'll have to convene at some point and raid each others collections!!

P.S. Ditto!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to have you and Anton over for dinner one night as a welcome back, so we could catch up on all things Mel/Anton and Barry/Joshie.

As you still have the CD might throw in copious amounts of wine too now.....

You will have to leave the kids at home though... Petrie (7 month old Cat - named by Josh after a pterodactyl in the Land Before Time Series) will not get on with your kids at all !!!!!

Bazsa

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home