Thursday, July 28, 2005

SYDNEY: MAKE WAY FOR MELLIPOP

Ok, so write this date in your diaries kiddies. September 3. Exactly a year from the date we left home, and not a second after our lease expires, Mellipop is coming back to Sydney. To live.

And you're gonna love this Baz. We're moving right into Quakers Hill, so we can start hitting the local RSL clubs again! Another thing Perth lacks - besides culture, a sense of national identity, Oporto burgers and poker machines - is RSL Clubs. Maybe all their servicemen got killed in the war or something.

I'm looking forward to: Oporto, Krispy Kreme, decent Thai food, something other than the bloody AFL on tele, people walking at normal speed (not the austisic shamble of people who have no purpose in life), Merrick and Rosso in the morning, having the opportunity to SMS vote for reality TV contestants (note: I have never and most likely will never do such a thing - I just don't like being denied the opportunity to do so if the urge ever strikes), daylight saving, sinking a few brews at the Annandale Hotel and taking both puppies down to the doggie park at Leichhardt and raising some Staffy mayhem.

And that's just for starters.

Neither of us have jobs lined up in Sydney, which should be interesting (read: stressful) and are essentially scraping the pennies to afford the move. But nothing ventured.... There's talk of Anton going back into hospitality and Mellipop going back into slinging sausages to tide us over until real jobs are to be found.

Anton is most disapointed to have to leave behind his stimulating MEATPACKING job, working 4am - 3pm each day. Though it will look fabulous on his resume with the pet store gig and the car sales thing.

And ironically, I got offered a promotion at work a few days before I was going to hand in my notice. I was asked to be the researcher on Perth Vita, our glossy lifestyle magazine. D'oh. (Umm....can you keep quiet on that one Hes, it was meant to be kept under wraps...).

So there you have it. Just on four weeks, and our WA interlude comes to a close.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

some useless info. you might need to survive in the jungle...

Oporto isn't available in Wollongong either.

Oporto burgers lately are more bread than chicken & mayo!

Krispy Kreme now come in 12, 6 & 4 packs. & the kruller type no longer has chocolate topping!

The Annandale is still the same shit hole.

We now have demerit points for parking offences and a lack of seat belt usage; Meaning Anton will never hold another NSW license.

Bob Carr quit and hopefully will move to Perth.

WELCOME BACK GUYS

Ps: Anton the meat-packer... hahaha... I want to hear all about this !

Ps #2: I have few ideas for Anton to get a job here (serious). and if that doesn't work, there is always church street auto alley on Parramata.. :p

xxooxx
Chris

6:04 PM  
Blogger Lady Meerkat said...

Yay you're blogging again! Nice to see you've made up your mind, and have something to work towards, a steely resolve if you will. [supporting you in spirit]

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SYDNEY! SYDNEY! SYDNEY!

OI! OI! OI!!!

Whoo hoo, you guys are finally coming home, yay!

Am so looking forward to many schooners (or vodka lemonades, hehe) at the pub to celebrate your triumphant (?) return home.

Love youuuuse,

xx Aimz

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Hey Mel

Finally you are coming HOME... Miss you and Anton heaps..

But you will need to upgrade yourself to join us.. we now drink at Wenty (Wentworthville) Leagues Club 99% of the time...

If you need employment - I can always hire you as a housekeeper (haha) that would make anonymous happy!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, my dear,

We often cast our fates to the wind. We find ourselves doing it, sometimes when we don't even have to. It is called bold human spirit.

Your spirit has touched me deeply. No matter what my life becomes, I shall know there are people like you. And this will comfort me.

Let us find our individual ways with our paths, somehow, always crossing.

In deepest admiration, yours,

Mike

P.S. Cool one on "Vita." I don't know what all the trouble is about. It was a fine looking mag, in my view. (Though I wouldn't read something like that at gunpoint.) Okay, I really did. Some of the recipes looked great *mental note* And the pics of the chubby girl sliding the pole impressed me mightily. The surly faced models throughout bummed me a bit. What is it with that? Can't you be beautiful and happy? Hell, it's all mysterious to me.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Wooooo ! Yay :)

Can't wait ! Und ja, if you are not feeling too tired, it means Anton & yourself can mosey on down to St.George Leagues that night for IG & DB's engagement dinner. Will send you the invite (again?) by email.

Either way, looking very much forward to catching up ! Speaking of jobs, I have a speculative venture (reality show concept) to run by you which may be right up your and Anton's alley - between the three of us I think we could give it a serious go to get off the ground. But I'll save it for when I see you (it's frikkin GREAT to be able to say those words again).

Have a safe trip & safe move !

8:27 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Oooh! Sounds intriguing! Ha ha I bet it involves dogs somehow.... Can't think of much else up Anton's Alley!!!

Will see about the engagement dinner - would love to come, but won't have a car.... Or much cash!

11:29 AM  
Blogger night-rider said...

I can't believe you snuck back in under my guard. Here I was feeling sad and lonely every night and there was that hilarious real estate agent post and all the funny comments just sitting in cyberspace waiting for me to get so desperate I just flicked over to check you were really gone! There's no OPorto in Darwin either but it's such a fun town. If you ever get sick of Sydney again, maybe you'll give it a go. It's much more up your alley than Perth. The writers festival next year maybe? You can stay with me for a holiday if you promise to leave the dogs at home! Good luck with the move, travel safely and please keep blogging.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home