Monday, June 13, 2005

MELLIPOP, ON BEHALF OF ALL BLOGGERDOM

OK, so in addition to harrassing tradesmen for business cards so I can design adverts for them, I also work on a new lifestyle magazine, just launched in WA. The editor, yours truly and another colleague were recently tossing around ideas for a "What's Hot" section to go in the next issue.

I told the editor that she HAD to include "blogs", or more precisely "Perth Bloggers" (it had to have a WA angle, of course). Now she doesn't know what blogs are, and when I launched into a gabbled description (including a mini-rant about how they are rendering traditional forms of commercial media redundant), she then asked me to come up with a 200 word intro piece for the next issue.

I have two dilemmas:

1) How I can distill the "why, how and wonder" of blogs in a meagre 200 words, for the unitiated

2) How I can blag the Mellipop blog in there somehow in a cynical bid to up my "circulation"

I'm feeling the pressure....

I mean, how the heck can you describe a blog to someone who has no idea what a blog is? In 200 words. And - in my case - how to do it without using the word "fuck" at least once?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha yes the avoidance of swearing is always a tough case. You will also have to use the phrase "worldwide phenomenon."

I actually found out that blog comes from 'web-log' the other day - i was probably the only person that didnt know that... i could never quite understand why the word blog had been chosen.

I think somewhere in your artcile you could say, "Many blogs have been created by Perth residents. One of the best available is written by Mop and Suz, two hot, funny, entertaining, intelligent (etc etc)Perth girls whose blog can be found at http://mopandsuz.blogspot.com" haha

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Holy shit man - there's 35 words gone already!

This is gonna be impossible! That only leaves me with 165 words in which to advertise my own genius. Surely not enough!

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home