Saturday, June 25, 2005

MELLIPOP AND THE NON-SMOKER

Ok, so where do you fucking self-righteous non-smokers get off lecturing me about my lifestyle choices?

So we had after-work drinks at the pub yesterday. Mistaking the informal gathering for an anti-smoking seminar, one of my colleagues took it upon himself to lecture me about my smoking. Guess what I learned? And I want to share this secret cabal of non-smokers wisdom with my fellow puffing pariahs, in the hope that I can save you from certain death too.

SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU.

SMOKING CAN KILL YOU.

SMOKING IS HARMFUL TO OTHERS.

Holy shit, it was all I could do to stop myself getting up and hurtling across the room to hurl my packet of cancer-sticks out the window and into the path of oncoming traffic. So I lit up another one instead.

My colleague then had the audacity to end his uninvited lecture by saying, "After all I've just said, how can you possibly light up another cigarette?".

Umm...let's see.

1. I think you're a pompous jerk and I have absolutely no respect for your otherwise enlightening tutorial
2. I quite enjoy smoking
3. I have a half-full glass of beer in my other hand
4. I am in a legally-sanctioned smoking area of the pub - these are as rare as non-lecturing non-smokers these days
5. I am hoping that if I ceaselessly chain-smoke in your presence, you might just drop dead on the spot from an acute case of saturation passive smoking
6. I feel that it is far more polite to utilise a cigarette to sublimate my otherwise impolite desire to spit in your self-righteous face

I then spent the rest of the evening deliberately segregated at the other end of the room, enaging in a mass-suicide pact with my fellow smokers. Which is otherwise known as having a couple of brews with a fag or two thrown into the mix. But without all the lectures. This is known as "Smoker's Apartheid". We simply don't want to mix with the likes of you, who get off on warning us about the certainty of our impending death. Like you fuckers are really gonna live forever.

I mean, I'm not here to defend smoking. Let me just inform my benevolently concerned non-smoking brothers and sisters that we do already know it's not the most healthy of lifestyle choices. What I am here to defend is the right to make that LEGAL lifestyle choice, without being constantly badgered by these self-appointed guardians of public health.

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU PEOPLE GET OFF ANYWAY?

What the fuck does someone who has never smoked before, know about the reasons why people smoke? And the reasons why we find it difficult to quit smoking, if the notion ever enters our head to stop. Like their few words of smarmy, unsolicited advice - chosen carefully from the wide pool of anti-smoking propaganda - is going to make me stop all of a sudden and say,

"Hey, YOU'RE RIGHT you know! This IS a rather quite silly thing to do. Let's go jump in a dinghy and save the fucking whales or something. Oh, and please know that you have my undying gratitude for SAVING MY LIFE. You're a fucking HERO mate, that's what you are".

And reformed smokers are THE WORST. They are even more self-righteous than non-smokers. They masquerade their desperate desire to stick a bunger in their gob with this lofty air of moral superiority that pisses me the hell off. Go join your fellow non-smokers for a massive moral circle jerk and leave me to die with my ciggies in peace.

Fucking non-smokers. There should be a law against them.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true. if there was any justice in the world, being a sanctimonious non-smoker would be carcinogenic.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, it probably is.

I learned to keep my mouth shut when a former girlfriend threatened to remove some parts of me that I wanted to keep if I didn't let her have a smoke in peace.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try telling fat people that they should eat less food and get off their fat arse and do some exercise because their lifestyle is bad for their blood pressure and heart. Tell them how you don't like looking at them and how they have no self control. Tell them that they are a burden to society and the health system.

Oh no, see that would be discrimination....

5:38 PM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

You know what Suz ? I'm gonna do just that in a blog post shortly :)

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it Mel! You already know that I can easily be one of those pompous self-righteous ex-smokers, but sometimes I do have to congratulate myself with a pat on the back for resisting temptation- ONLY COS EVEN AFTER 17 MONTHS I STILL BLOODY WANT ONE! Especially when I'm getting far too stressed out dealing with the crazy freaks on the phone at work.

You tell those clean-air weirdos where to go Mel!

xx Aimz

P.S. Suz- love your work.

11:04 AM  
Blogger roguemaze said...

I WILL GIVE UP SMOKING IF QUEENSLAND WIN THE STATE OF ORIGIN SERIES! Then I can not smoke in peace.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it funny how it is treated like a crime to have a puff at a bar but not to ruin your family's wellbeing and financial security or your kid's college fund down a poker machine??

The last one I heard is that they want to stop ppl from smoking in thir own cars! THAT IS NASTY! but I drive behind state transit diesel buses followed by large clouds of smoke every DAY! but that is okay...

I'm getting srtessed pass the Marlboroughs BRO.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,

Lord knows I indulge in the occasional smoke. *coyly batting eyelashes*

I think our graciously unnamed fellow employee is exercising the same human dynamics in place since "Gog" cracked "Guug" in the head with a mastodon bone (in a cave somewhere in France.)

Said dynamics are as follows:

1. Some insecure people are constantly grabbing for ways to make themselves feel superior. It is a perfectly logically felt swing that never ends in a live-and-let-live equalibrium. To the contrary, they feel themselves briefly empowered in the discomfort of others. The non-smoker's nicotine, if you will.

2. You must consider who his boss is. Given a month with her, slowly suicidal smoking would be too slow. He will likely choose to disembowel himself Samurai-like in the company kitchen, causing Brad to send a flurry of authoratative emails, and Jim-Bob to take a month off (not to mention Graham scurrying around in whispered tones with a ream of paper.)

3. I smoke because I like it, and to ensure that I do not live forever. The inevitability is widely acknowledged. However, I feel the personal need to give it a bit of a push, or insurance anyway.

I want to end this with a fraternity song I learned (all too well) in "Uni." But I'll spare you, my dear.

Smoke-o? Meet you at the stairs.

Cheers,

Mike

4:33 PM  
Blogger Lady Meerkat said...

Isn't steering the car with your knees so that you can light your cigarette, using a normal lighter rather than your in car lighter, just a teensy bit risky to both you and fellow road users? I have seen it done and it bothered me every time. You know who you are!

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't knock it till you've tried it :P

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+ update, Mel?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

I wouldn't worry Mel, those type of people just love to lecture people on ANYTHING. Naturally, smoking is an easy choice for him, because he can harp on about the stuff EVERYONE already knows... next time ask him to either lecture you about new and interesting facts or else shut up.

8:10 AM  
Blogger night-rider said...

Ahem! Hate to be the one to mention this but has anyone else noticed Melipop's been missing for 13 days? Is there some bizarre engagement ritual I don't know about that involves amputation of fingers or a brain transplant or something?

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blοg!
We are a group of ѵоlunteеrs and
staгting a new project in a сommunity іn the sаme nіche.
Yοur blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
You have ԁone a mаrvеllous ϳob!


Feеl free to surf to my ωеb-site: megassuert

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home