Friday, June 10, 2005

BORING MELLIPOP POST ABOUT MUSIC

Ok, so I'm not going to post tonight, even though a "Numbnuts of the Week" award is well overdue.

I'm in new music heaven. I have just come home with new albums from the White Stripes and Coldplay (plus a ten year old album by Wilco, but it's new to me...). Plus I am still in love with recent purchases by Martha Wainright, Antony and the Johnsons, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, The Bravery, Kings of Leon and The National. Add to that some back catalogue Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Queens of the Stone Age and Liz Phair and you've got yourself one heck of a problem.

(Plus I'm also eyeing off new releases by Belle & Sebastian and Brendan Benson).

The road to Sydney is littered with the relics of my CD substance abuse habit.

Sigh.... At this rate I might never make it back.....

P.S. New albums that really suck, even if the music press tell you otherwise : Architecture in Helsinki, The Dears. Avoid at all costs. "JJJ Album of the Week" my ass. I guess that's one of the reasons why I don't listen to JJJ anymore.... Plus their shitty new JMag magazine are holding a competition to find new music writers. And I don't fall into their 18-25 year old criteria. Ageist fuckers. Like once you hit 28 is you're just sooooo fucking past it. Wankers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Ghost and Yankee Foxtrot are both on my lengthy list of future requirements! I already had Summerteeth, and recently hired the Wilco doco on DVD - hence my rushing out to buy A.M.

I'm still ambivalent re: Gorillaz. I always like their singles, though. I just can't get past the silly novelty of it all. Though that doesn't stop me from loving The Monkees...;)

At this rate I'll be walking to Sydney.... Nah. Just an East Coast expat with dreams of flying back home eventually. With two dogs a boy and a houseful of crap I need to get back home with me somehow!

The new White Stripes album is indeed fabulous! Damn clever buggers that they are....

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...perhaps 28 year olds are meant to have enough smarts to make their own careers?

Just a thought. & what's the deal with the AIH album? I thought their earlier stuff was genius.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Lady Meerkat said...

[snort] It's ageist! Funny coincidence: I'm listening to 7 nation army right now.

5:49 PM  
Blogger dancing chaos said...

Wait a minit... the Arcade Fire made it all the way to Australia? How's the reaction to them down there?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Mark - it's not that I'm either dumb or incapable at 28 (lazy, yes...) but I just object to the assumption that at 28 you're on the pop culture scrapheap. Ok, so I really just hate the fact that it makes me feel OLD.

Dancing Chaos - Arcade Fire are current "indie darlings" down here. Which means that radio doesn't play them and hardly anyone listens to them! I only found out about them through the UK music press. Australia really only has one crappy music rag - Rolling Stone. It pilfers from the US version and then throws in a few token bit's n pieces about mediocre Aussie bands.

Arcade Fire should be huge here but probably won't be.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home