Thursday, February 10, 2005

TURNING UP TO THE PAGE

Ok, so I'm here.

There is a concept well-known to frustrated writers around the globe. It's called "Turning Up To The Page". Which essentially, entails sitting down and spilling your mediocre guts on the page, regardless of the result.

Generally, most such futile attempts stay tucked away from the greedy eyes of the viewing public, but not today. This, my friends, is Mellipop turning up to the page. So I'm here. It's like turning up on a blind date to meet my muse. Picture the scene - I'm feeling a litle bit embarrassed right now and am slowly scanning the room for potential sightings, hoping that eventually our eyes will meet across the room and that our heads will simultaneously turn down in a subtle nod of greeting and mutual recognition.

But the fucker ain't here and I'm heading to the bar. I guess maybe he saw me and left screaming for the exits. Or perhaps I am in the wrong bar. At the wrong time. Read into that metaphor what you will, my distant compadres.

Nothing going on in Mellipopland right now. So being payday and all, I sought to medicate myself with music, hoping to artificially inseminate my barren artistic eggs with the creative jizz of indie-pop royalty. Elliott Smith, The Shins and The Earlies. All of which have thus far failed to rouse me from my existential inertia.

Bec Cartwright and Lleyton Hewitt were on three magazine covers in the newsagent today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I wonder if i could use Bec & Lleyton as an excuse for a sickie - excess sugar from the apparant sweetness caused elevated sugar and ... what ever happens then ?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

tell me about it, all inspiration has deserted me, i can't think of anything to write at all.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Bec and Toilet-Commercial-Man were on Today Tonight last week, in not one but TWO special reports ('Bec & Lleyton Now' and 'Bec & The Lleyton - The Future'), or something equally cringe-worthy.

Honestly, who the f*ck cares ? It's Delta & The Scud all over again ! The Australian media is seriously starved for something news-worthy, if this is the standard we've stooped to. Not that that's an earth-shattering revelation, really ...

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*oh, look at the new blogger interface... this is much better*

I don't want to sound too 'meta', but did you just spill your guts by telling everyone about how to spill their guts? You know that really doesn't count as spilling your guts... except perhaps for the slightly etiolate commentary on pop music and sports celebrities.

OK, I've said 'spilling your guts' way too much for one day. I'm off. Just think about it, ok?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Ah, Papertrap... I love the way you always make me sound far more insightful and profound than I could ever hope to be! Keep raising the Mellipop bar!!!

Umm...Anton wants to know what etiolate means... Ok, I 'fess up... Mellipop does....

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dictionary dot com defines 'etiolate' as withered or deformed in a plant-like way. Generally munted.

Does that make sense, your honour?

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home