Monday, January 03, 2005

2004: NOT MUCH GOING ON HERE

Ok, so I was going to do a 2004 review and then decided that it would be too depressing as it would easily rank as the most eventless and uninteresting year I've ever had. I quit my job and went on a sabbatical for about 8 months. Watched a bit of Dr Phil and walked the dog as inertia set in hard. Then moved to Perth.

But I saw this on Bree's blog and decided to steal it. The questions, not her life... The following boring details, sadly, are all Mellipop...

1. WHAT DID YOU DO IN 2004 THAT YOU'D NEVER DONE BEFORE?
Quit a fabulous job. Got sucked in by a shonky chiropractor. Moved out-of-state to Perth. Quit smoking properly. Started a blog.

2. DID YOU KEEP YOUR NEW YEARS' RESOLUTIONS, AND WILL YOU MAKE MORE FOR NEXT YEAR?
After you give up smoking, all other resolutions seems so lame (and achievable) by comparison.

3. DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU GIVE BIRTH?
Mikey boy popped his second. Couple of others I know got a head start on the foetus for 2005.

4. DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU DIE?
Italian grandfather died. Close genetically, but that's about all.

5. WHAT COUNTRIES DID YOU VISIT?
No other countries, but WA must count as an entirely different planet.

6. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE IN 2005 THAT YOU LACKED IN 2004?
A video recorder to tape Dr Phil now that I'm back in the workforce. My own high-paid, widely-read column in a major metropolitan newspaper or magazine.

7. WHAT DATES FROM 2004 WILL REMAIN ETCHED UPON YOUR MEMORY AND WHY?
Grandfather's funeral. My devastatingly sad New World farewell party. The day we left Sydney. My triumphant return for the New World Xmas party.

8. WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT OF THE YEAR?
Finally getting Anton out of his rut and getting his arse to Perth.

9. WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST FAILURE?
Finally getting Anton out of his rut and getting his arse to Perth.

10. DID YOU SUFFER ILLNESS OR INJURY?
Eerie metaphysical lower back problems that disappeared as soon as I started working again. Cyclical migraines back to belt me around a bit.

11. WHAT WAS THE BEST THING YOU BOUGHT?
My beloved eMac.

12. WHOSE BEHAVIOUR MERITED CELEBRATION?
Everyone who reads my blog regularly. Cheers all!

13. WHOSE BEHAVIOUR MADE YOU APPALLED AND DEPRESSED?
My own.

14. WHERE DID MOST OF YOUR MONEY GO?
Well not working for eight months helped annihilate my meagre savings. Moving all my bloody books and CDs to Perth took care of the rest of it.

15. WHAT DID YOU GET REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT?
Dr Phil.

16. WHAT SONG WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU OF 2004
Drive by Shannon Noll. Me, Anton and Comanche tooling around in the car singing loudly and changing the lyrics to "I've got a dog, I've got a big black shiny dog, Maybe tonight we can go for a walk...Let's Waaaalk...Anywhere you wanna go I will take you there 'Manche, Take you there 'Manche..."

17. COMPARED TO THIS TIME LAST YEAR ARE YOU:
a) Happier or sadder? Much the same.
b) Thinner or fatter? Marginally fatter. Damn those stubborn two kilos...
c) Richer or poorer? POORER!!!!

18. WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU'D DONE MORE OF?
Work. Writing.

19. WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU'D DONE LESS OF?
Nothing. As in doing nothing.

20. DID YOU FALL IN LOVE IN 2004?
That happened back in 2000. Still going strong.

21. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TV PROGRAM?
Kath 'n Kim.

22. DO YOU HATE ANYONE NOW THAT YOU DIDN'T HATE LAST YEAR?
I don't hate anyone.

23. WHAT WAS THE BEST BOOK YOU READ?
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

24. WHAT WAS YOUR GREATEST MUSICAL DISCOVERY?
Blue by Joni Mitchell. Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Still ambivalent about new music by Devendra Banhart, Interpol and The Libertines. 2004 kinda sucked for new music - any recommendations are eagerly welcomed.

25. WHAT DID YOU WANT AND GET?
To move to Perth.

26. WHAT DID YOU WANT AND NOT GET?
I always get what I want.

27. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE FILM OF THE YEAR?
Super-Size Me

28. WHAT DID YOU DO ON YOUR BIRTHDAY, AND HOW OLD WERE YOU?
Had lunch at the pub in Cottesloe. Had dinner and saw a Ramones documentary at outdoor cinema. 28.

29. WHAT ONE THING WOULD HAVE MADE YOUR YEAR IMMEASURABLY MORE SATISFYING?
Having an income for most of it would have been nice.

30. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL FASHION CONCEPT IN 2004?
Jeans and trainers. I don't do heels or skirts. Or fashion, actually.

31. WHAT KEPT YOU SANE?
Music and books. Anton and the dog. Blogger.com.

32. WHICH CELEBRITY/PUBLIC FIGURE DID YOU FANCY THE MOST?
Robbie Williams

33. WHAT POLITICAL ISSUE STIRRED YOU THE MOST?
I'm fairly apolitical these days. Was momentarily depressed when Howard got back in but hey, what's another three years...

34. WHO DID YOU MISS?
You all know who you are

35. WHO WAS THE BEST NEW PERSON YOU MET?
Do virtual friends count?

36. TELL US A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON YOU LEARNED IN 2004:
I value (and need the companionship and support of) my friends and family more than I thought I did. Herbal diet pills don't actually work.

37. QUOTE A SONG LYRIC THAT SUMS UP YOUR YEAR.
Two from Belle & Sebastian

" I spent the summer wasting, the time was passed so easily" (except in my case it was a whole year)

"Ooh, get me away from here I'm dying" (applies to me in both Sydney and Perth!)

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great questions. I am afraid that I have given up on 2005's resolutions and get too depressed thinking about 2004's resolutions that I never made happen!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Lady Meerkat said...

11. Yay! Another Mac person :) 16. [chuckles] Cute 20. Awww... 24. How about Keane? 30. I expanded on the jeans and sneakers that have been a staple of my wardrobe for YEARS. I found a 2nd hand, A-line denim skirt by Living Doll that I LOVE, sought out singlet tops with built in support, funky thongs, and injected more pink into my wardrobe. Not in time for some people but what can you do?

6:36 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Lady Meerkat - re: #20 - what Mel neglects to tell us loyal readers of course is that she DID go through a frock flirtation not that long ago, before retreating back to the comfort of jeans and sneakers. Which makes fashion victims like myself feel just that little bit better about ourselves ;P

11:01 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Actually sorry .. number 30, not 20. The dreaded F-word (fashion) to be precise ...

11:02 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Well, we've got people ripping Bree off via you, left right and centre now ;P

There's me for starters, and now my lovely lass has got in on the act too - imaginerygirl.blogspot.com if you haven't seen her blog yet dear Melli. Complete with photo I might add too - she's the one on the right in the piccie.

You'll need to read the comment fields mind you ... it appears she likes talking to herself ;P

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Thanks guys - I've expanded my CIRCLE OF LOVE to include Imaginery Girl and LadyMeerkat. I did kick a couple of others out to accomodate them though, SO DON'T EVER FEEL SECURE IN THE CIRCLE OF LOVE...

Ha ha I'm such a dick....

4:21 PM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Circle of Lurve huh ? I believe someone went to see 'Meet The Fockers' the other day :)

5:59 AM  
Blogger Lady Meerkat said...

I still haven't figured out how to add the circle of love to my blog [sheepish look] Mellipop and Disappearing Boy, it's a given you'll be on my list. The first person to tell me how will automatically go on the list [cheesy grin] I think I've finally worked out how to post pics on my blog. Let me know how I'm doing.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Hmmm.. must check to see if I'm still in the cirle of love...

8:16 PM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Tried to post a linking tutorial here as a comment for all those people (inlcuding Mellipop ! yeah you !) who want to get "circles of love" but it's not happening, so go to

http://disappearingboy.blogspot.com/2005/01/quick-links-tutorial.html

Instead guys ...

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.blogrolling.com

- Nicholas

10:17 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Nick - blogrolling is the CHEATER way man ;)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Incidentally, links tutorial URL has changed. It's now http://disappearingboy.blogspot.com/1999/01/quick-links-tutorial.html

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can a href with the best of them, but when I add a new link I don't want to have to do it on every single page/template. hence blogrolling...

- nicholas

1:06 PM  
Blogger Disappearing Boy said...

Ah, but that's only applicable if your blog uses more than one template ... or you have more than one blog. We're talking simple blogs here.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hence the advantages of a simple, non-code oriented system...?

PLUS you can see who has updated their blogs recently. that is, if they ping weblogs.com, which mel doesn't, thus she always languishes towards the bottom of my list.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

And here I was pants-pissing excited for cracking the 20 comments barrier ....Nevermind...

I'll leave you both to it then, shall I ?

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well god knows I have nothing more to add, but I enjoy making it look like Mel is a megablogger, and getting her excited about pointless comments, so here's another one.

- Nicholas

10:18 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Ha ha you little bloody shit!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home