Thursday, December 30, 2004

MELLIPOP'S XMAS MIRACLE

Ok, so I have a story to tell. A wondrous story, a heartwarming tale, a bona fide “Telemovie of the Week” Christmas miracle. And most miraculous of all, ‘twas I, young Mellipop (played here by Olivia Newton John), who was the beaming recipient of this Christmas miracle. (circa 17th December 2004)

Now as regular Mellipop users will well know, a couple of weeks out from Xmas I was playing a devastating turn at being the sad Little Mellipop Matchstick Girl, orphaned and lonely in WA, far from family and friends. Sniffle…(choked sob)…Sigh….

So anyway, shortly after my winsome post about missing my folks for Xmas, I got a surprise phone call at work from the kick-ass boss at my previous job (you may remember him from an earlier post as He Who Held Mellipop’s Head Out of the Gutter While She Was Drunkenly Vomiting AND Didn’t Sack Her The Next Day).

Now as I answered the call I thought how nice it was of Mike to give me a call and wish me a Merry Xmas. Until he OFFERED TO FLY ME TO AND FROM SYDNEY FOR THE COMPANY’S CHRISTMAS PARTY AT THE COMPANY’S EXPENSE, as a surprise for all my old colleagues. All that was missing was a big old cake for me to jump out of in a sequinned g-string and tasselled pasties.

I’m sure that my squeals of shock and delight at that point were heard clearly by the entire population on the East Coast. Of Iceland. I also recall repeating the question “Are you serious?” over and over again, as though my entire command of the English language had regressed to those three sole words. Well that, plus the squealing.

Now to put this in perspective – I haven’t worked for the company since the start of March this year (after 3.5 years of dedicated toil). We aren't talking about some massively filthy-rich multi-national, but a small independent record label of about 20 employees. They bought me a freakin’ iPod as a farewell gift. And now they wanted to fly me back home AT XMAS, feed me free food and alchohol and then spot me $50 for the cab fare home. Their generosity has far outstripped any practical or financial worth I ever offered them as an employee. I AM good value at parties, however….

So yes, I have to admit that I felt very loved - a bit like visiting royalty. A princess in dirty jeans and adidas trainers, light beer in one hand, contraband ciggie in the other and a nascent WA accent, if the bloody piss-takers are to be believed.

The one downside was that I was forced to snub my current colleagues and their Christmas party over here in WA, as unfortunately both dates coincided. But that was well made up for by the fact that I got to catch up with all my best mates and family in the three days I was over in Sydney. Though my current colleagues were left somewhat bewildered by the ostentatious gesture, wondering if I am really THAT good an employee (I'm not) and half-suspecting I was going to be lured back to my old job in Sydney (I'm not).

So anyway, tears were shed, good times were had and I was pleasantly reminded of how much I love Sydney’s Inner West, with its grime, choice of quality restaurants and weird-looking people swarming the streets in that swift Sydney gait that I still can’t shake.

THAT WAS MELLIPOP’S CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! AND IT ROCKED THE BIG STUFF!

P.S. Thanks again to the NW crew for yet another fabulous night, and to everyone I was able to oh so briefly catch up with during the three days I was there. And apologies to Nick for missing his Tarot reading because I was busy bantering with one of his suppliers. Seems we need to work on those non-verbal cues a bit ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Non verbal cues?!? my yawning, checking of the time, grim smiles, trailing off "well..."s, weren't enough of a clue that i wanted to get rid of him and have a tarot reading? shit even HE knew i wanted to get rid of him.

got a present coming your way once the mail starts again, a primo piece of scientific reductionism to stop your WA brain rot.

also you used to steal my toothbrush and leave it in the shower. and yes it was gross.

- Nicholas

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Not steal - SHARE!!!!!!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home