Thursday, October 14, 2004

ROUND 2: MELLIPOP VS GOD

Ok, so the weirdest thing has just happened. Either God wants to go another round with me next Tuesday in revenge for my sacriligeous post, or I’m somehow meant to have this job - with that not-so-horrible weekly paycheck thing to consider. $32k or not, I’ll take the fucker. In the parched desert otherwise known as the Perth job market, $32k is a tall drink of water. On that scale, being a freelance writer is the equivalent of drinking your own piss (through a straw with a hole in it).

You see, I just got a callback from the lady I did the disastrous job interview with the other day, asking me to come in for a second interview next Tuesday. So I’m a total whore – correction – a totally broke total whore, and so I said that I was still interested and that YES, I would LOVE to come in for another interview.

Then I forgot her name….Ok, so it just came across that way. I didn’t recognise her voice on the phone and so asked who I was speaking to. And it was she. Ha ha it’s been crossed wires the whole goddamn time with this sheila. Probably an omen I should well heed - but won’t.

Y’know, I really never saw myself in an advertising job for the mining industry (principles, moi?). But I was watching the Dr Phil show today and he was mauling a group of mind-blowingly vacuous graduates who expected to walk straight from uni into ”totally awesome” six-figure salary jobs and so refused everything else and sunk deeper into debt. OK, so I saw THAT as an omen. Dr Phil says “settle for less”, so that’s what I’m darn well gonna do!

Alternatively, I could do with a miracle job offer from somewhere else before then. How’s my credit looking, God?

The thing is, I really can’t imagine what has possessed this woman to ask me back again for another interview. Didn’t I suck enough the first time? I mean, really… Are they that hard-up for applicants? Is God really a vengeful God? The answer to both questions, it would seem, is “apparently so”.

Well, if nothing else, I’ll at least come away with a tragi-comic sequel to my previous post. Mmm…I wonder if I can lose enough weight to fit into my favourite power suit pants before then…Nah. That would mean asking for two miracles in the space of one week. You listening, God? I reckon it’s your shout, buddy….

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I suggest there is one of two reasons that you've snagged the second interview:

1/ She is a saddistic bith who wants to see if she (and god) can make you suffer further for their own sick pleasure
2/ She is a keen gardener and this time of year in perth its starting to get hotter and dryer and if she calls you in again it might rain again ?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Ha ha, damn, not the kind of reassurance I was hoping for!

7:19 PM  
Blogger night-rider said...

As an alternative, you could collect together all these fabulous tragi-comic blog posts into a slim volume and flog them to a totally hip and wildly commercial publisher and live on the royalties - it's possible, just believe!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

With Dr. Phil in your ear and that woman pratically BEGGING you for another interview it's no wonder you had to say yes! Some things are just meant to be ;)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home