Wednesday, October 27, 2004

MELLIPOP FUNERAL PART 2: THE EPITAPH

Ok, papertrap boy asked for an epitaph, so until I get around to crafting a suitable one of my own, these selections from Dorothy Parker will stand as fine potential candidates.....

Leave for her a red young rose,
Go your way and save your pity;
She is happy for she knows
That her dust is very pretty.

OR.....

You will be frail and musty
With peering, furtive head,
Whilst I am young and lusty
Among the roaring dead.

OR....

If I should labor through daylight and dark,
Consecrate, valorous, serious, true,
Then on the world I may blazon my mark;
And what if I don't, and what if I do?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorothy Parker: perhaps the world's most epitaph-friendly poet? I think e.e. is also good:


in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream
remember so(forgetting seem)

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek(forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me,remember me


Mark
[yes, my name is Mark]
[papertrap.net]

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

'Scuse my rudeness but there is just way too much baggage attached to that name for me. Dad is Mark. Brother is Mark. I also dated a dodgy bartender by the same name. Funnily enough, I would never call him Mark. I used to call him The Bartender. Even to his face. Hence, you are Papertrap Boy.....

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your distress. Can I suggest either Alex or Hamster? They're both okay.


-----
[papertrap.net]

1:19 PM  
Blogger night-rider said...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found this link to national epitaph day (or something like). Perhaps the ABC is monitoring your blog Mel! http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1231926.htm

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home