Wednesday, October 27, 2004

IMPROMPTU AA MEETING

Ok, so it's just past 6pm and I've done a hard 9 hours on the shop floor, as evidenced by the advancing blister on the sole of my left foot. I stepped outside into the remaining daylight, only to find myself engaged in conversation by a Myer staff member I have neither seen nor met before.

So I'm a friendly lass, quite content to make idle chit chat about the mediocre trade of the day, stocktakes and price changes. That kind of thing. So we chat. Then she goes and drops a conversational bomb that I am ill-equipped to deal with.


MYER LADY: So I was just reading Richard Branson's autobiography.

MELLIPOP: Oh yeah, whenever I tell people I work at Virgin .... it's amazing how many people have read that book.

MYER LADY: Yeah - I just stopped reading it, right in the middle.

MELLIPOP: Ok...so....

MYER LADY: (interrupting) Yeah see, I'm a recovering alcoholic. 18 years sober.

MELLIPOP: Ok...umm....

MYER LADY: Now I was really enjoying the book, but he started putting the boot into some guy who was a recovering alcoholic, and I just thought, this isn't on...So I closed the book. Stopped reading it. I was an alcoholic you know, there's just no need to say those kind of things... I'm not going to finish it now.

MELLIPOP: Ah..yeah...um...

MYER LADY: Yeah, I used to think he was a smart man, y'know... But now...

MELLIPOP: Umm... yeah... I guess it's a shame then, that he still got the royalty for it... aah... ok ... I'll see you later. Have a good night.... (followed by quick dash to the car)


One rule of self-disclosure is that we only disclose what we are comfortable inviting other people to talk about. I mean, what did she want me to do. Ask her to come to the pub for a quick beer? Make substance abuse small talk? Start an anti-Branson petition? Congratulate her on 18 years of sobriety?

I dunno. I am truly stumped on this one.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Amelia said...

I think she wanted you to leave your job in protest ;).
Seriously though, I don't know why complete stranger's reveal intimate details about their lives like that!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Nah - I'm a Freo girl ......

6:49 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I suspect she needed to pee and didn't have 30 cents so was trying to take her mind off it :-)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home