Thursday, September 30, 2004

A CONSUMER, SCORNED PT 2

Ok, so I’m having a bad year with large organisations. Now it’s time to lay the boot into World Vision for an inexcusable bureaucratic fuck-up of massive proportions.

Let me start out by saying that I have always been a huge supporter of World Vision (though conveniently overlooking the religious-brainwashing side of things) and always donated extra money on top of my $40 a month, in support of their regular fundraising drives for famine and natural disasters elsewhere. Many a time I defended their credibility to its critics.

One year, I even did all my Christmas shopping out of their “Smiles” catalogue. For example, my Dad was the happy recipient of a toilet in Papua New Guinea, my Mum got some vaccinations in Senegal and my brother got a goat in Rwanda. Etc. So the money goes to programs overseas and my Dad gets a card with a picture of two tribal chiefs in PNG standing next to a bush toilet, when all he really wanted was a case of Crown Lager!

For the last 3 or 4 years I have been sponsoring a child through World Vision, a little boy from Malawi in Africa called Mabvuto Tambala. In July this year I received my annual Tax Deductible Statement in the post and immediately noticed that my contributions for the previous year were listed as only $40 - the equivalent of one month’s donation.

I immediately phoned to query the amount, guessing that it was the result of clerical or computer error and assumed that a few simple keystrokes would take care of it all. Rather, I am duly informed by a sheepish staff member that my sponsor child HAD BEEN DEAD FOR THE LAST 11 MONTHS and hence the total on my statement was in fact, the correct one.

AND NO ONE FROM WORLD VISION HAD BOTHERED TO INFORM ME OF THIS INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT FOR A WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR!!!!

AND, it was ME who phoned THEM – about an entirely different matter! So when exactly were they planning to break the news?

OK, so anyway, at that point I’m kinda stunned and start babbling something about my credit card being incorrectly debited while I struggle not to start crying as the shock starts to wear off and comprehension sinks in. I kinda miss most of the rest of the conversation except to hear the obviously uncomfortable guy on the other end of the line say that normally they send letters and make phone calls in such cases. Neither of which did I receive.

So I’m still babbling about my credit card when anger kicks in, and I give him a serve before I tell him I will phone back immediately once I have all of my last years credit card statements in front of me.

I went and checked my records, stunned to realise that the call centre guy was right. World Vision hadn’t debited my card since Mabvuto had passed away 11 months ago. So there I was, feeling like a right dickhead for not even noticing that the payments had ceased. But hey, I don’t read my bills, I just pay the fuckers!

Following anger, I moved on to guilt, berating myself for being a totally reprehensible, self-absorbed, clueless person. I mean, how could I have not noticed once in 11 months that the payments had ceased. And I didn’t even ask HOW he passed away - all I could think about was that darn credit card bill…. (Funny the way the mind works when confronted with issues of mortality…)

Soon afterwards, self-pity kicked in and I started to feel sorry for myself. I mean, how many people’s sponsor kids up and die on them? Is it common? Am I cursed? Why do everyone else’s sponsor kids become doctors and vets? Should I sponsor another child straight away, and what happens if this one dies? My altrustic side won out and I decided to sponsor again, despite my reservations.

As I picked up the phone to call World Vision, the question suddenly occurred – WHY THE FUCK WOULD I TRUST THESE PEOPLE WITH MY MONEY EVER AGAIN?????

ANSWER: I wouldn’t.

So I put the phone down…. And shed a few tears for the poor little soul who had died 11 months previously, only to survive as an affront to World Vision’s database integrity.

MABVUTO TAMBALA
Mabvuto Tambala was only 12 years old when he died. He enjoyed playing soccer, his chores included sweeping and - though he wasn’t a keen or brilliant scholar - his favourite subject was creative art. He spent his final Christmas on Earth enjoying a feast of beef and rice.

8 Comments:

Blogger night-rider said...

This is the saddest funny story (or the funniest sad story) I've read in a long time. I'm addicted to your blog already - you write like a breath of fresh air!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Mum - is that you????

Ha ha whoever you are Nightrider (remind me to tell you about my David Hassellhoff crush one day), you have dead-set made my week. I've just logged on for my daily visit (read: self-flaggellation) to arch-nemesis websites seek.com and mycareer.com and thought I'd well, procrastinate really.... So here I am.

Big blogger thanks to you, sunshine!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

home remedy tooth whitening!!! PerfectlyWhite.com is proud to present to you the first ever at home plasma arc teeth whitening treatment. We are bringing you the most popular in office teeth whitening treatment at home for the fraction of the cost! One laser whitening treatment at a doctor's office can run around $1000 as shown above. This is very exciting news for anyone who is looking for professional plasma arc teeth whitening in the comfort of their own home. Best of all you can have this plasma arc light technology for much less! These bulbs are actual plasma arc bulb used in a $10,000 plasma arc machine as seen above! Each bulb for this machine retails for $200! You will get one with our kit for much less! The light is yours to keep and can be used as many times as you like! We also have incorporated this lighting technology into our hand held models. You can achieve professional results in less than 7 days! Our method also works in between your teeth and deep down below the enamel. This procedure will not damage or wear away the enamel. Visit home remedy tooth whitening

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Su no la cosa m�s f�cil a hablar, pero su digno de ella.Good Wishes, Bobette dental crown charlotte

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apprezzo l'occasione lasciare un alberino del cosmetic dentist durham.Deeply, Lavette cosmetic dentist durham

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent webpage!

laser tooth whitening tooth bleaching in
http://health-network.servehttp.com/health/

Regards,
Gerald E.
http://health-network.servehttp.com/health/
laser tooth whitening tooth bleaching in

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my africa phone card site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. I'll tell you what beats aston villa badge, what beats aston villa badge is WWW.FREEPREMIERSHIP.COM. This site really is the best free soccer site in the world. It features all the Premiership teams for live streaming football games including Arsenal, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Manchester United, Bolton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle United, Wigan Athletic, Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur, Charlton Athletic, Portsmouth, West Ham, Reading and Sheffield United.

FREEPREMIERSHIP.COM also features Rangers and Celtic from the Scottish SPL as well as the latest soccer scores from around the world. Check out the latest football news as well for your favourite Premiership team.

You can even buy your favourite Premiership soccer team's club credit card from www.freepremiership.com or www.coolcreditcards.co.uk

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home